Teeth Whitening Strip Reviews (+ a handy buying guide)
Finding time to look after yourself can become the hardest part of the week. It’s the battle of work and life that we will forever struggle to balance. One area of self-care - teeth whitening - has seen great advances in recent years. Many people are now using whitening strips for their convenience and value, but what are the best teeth whitening strips available?
Looking after your teeth is vitally important for two reasons. First, they’re the only ones you’ve got! It’s never too late to start a proper, healthy dental routine, and it’s vitally important to stick to it.
Secondly, a healthy, bright, white smile will win over friends and colleagues time and time again. The sooner you start, the better your teeth will look throughout the years to come.
The internet is full of information about teeth whitening and whitening strips – however, it’s a confusing landscape out there, and often you’ll be reading about these products from someone who’s trying to sell them to you!
We’ve condensed this information into one easy to read article, along with our top three whitening strip recommendations.
How Teeth Whitening Strips Work
Whitening strips are best suited to those who are time poor or budget conscious – those who
If you haven’t got time to head to your dentist for a professional clean, and you’re not willing to pay the costs associated with some other treatments, these whitening strips are for you.
Best suited for those with light to moderate staining or discolouration, a small, flexible plastic strip coated with a whitening gel that contains a bleaching agent - hydrogen peroxide, the same whitening agent used in the more expensive treatments - is wrapped around the teeth.
For roughly half an hour each day, for approximately 1-2 weeks, these strips are worn. Wearing them for this amount of time allows the whitening gel to penetrate and break down the discoloration.
Some people report results within as little as two weeks, but don’t be surprised if you find that you’re using them for longer and heading out to buy a second round of treatment.
More often than not, users are left disappointed with their results and are surprised that their teeth didn’t go a few shades brighter. Keep reading to make up your mind and decide if whitening strips are right for you.
A Buying Guide When Considering Whitening Strips
Walk into any supermarket or chemist, head to the dental aisle, and you’ll be confronted with an enormous choice of teeth whitening strips. Here’s our quick guide to help you make the best choice:
Price: Don’t pay too much
- Anywhere between $10 and $60 is normal, while value packs can be a great money saver
- See the rest of our buying guide to ensure you get the best value
Concentration: Simply put - the higher the concentration, the better the results.
- Teeth whitening strips are usually only 6% hydrogen peroxide (much lower than the 30% - 50% used in dental practices). However, those with sensitive teeth should consider using products with less hydrogen peroxide
- It is recommended that those with sensitive teeth consult with their dentist before use
How clear are the instructions?
- This is a time-saving process. Don’t buy something that is confusing or unclear
Guarantees: Does the manufacture guarantee results? Do they back this up with a money-back promise?
- Many people find that the whitening strips do a good enough job and are satisfied with the results. However, it is worth bearing in mind that if a company isn’t willing to put their money where their mouth is (no pun intended), their product may not be up to scratch
- Don’t let this be the only thing to influence your decision, but it can be an important deciding factor
Special precautions: Does the manufacturer provide any special instructions such as “Don’t drink water” while using their product?
- Consider where and when you’ll be using these strips and purchase accordingly added extras: Is there anything else included?
- Some may promise extra information or come bundled with other products. Before being swayed by these, ask yourself if they provide any value over the other options
Be Realistic: Your teeth will become whiter, but you may not achieve the exact results you’re after
- Whitening strips do work, but there are stronger, more effective alternatives out there if you’re willing to pay the cost
- If you’re teeth are moderate to heavily stained, it’s unlikely you will gain much benefit, if any, from whitening strips
- Teeth are limited to how white they can go. You will not be able to become any whiter than your teeth originally were
Teeth Whitening Strip Reviews - The Top 3
We’ve scoured the market looking for the best deals just for you - based on price, results and online reports. Taking into account the tips from our buying guide, we’ve rounded up the top three best whitening strips available.
#1 - Perfect Whitening Teeth - luxe twin set ($104 BUT currently on sale)
- The unique formula has been redesigned so its essentially non-slip - meaning no more adjusting or getting whitening gel on your gums!
- The box contains 28 applications (56 strips - enough to keep you going for years!)
- Comes with a luxury box, mirror, but our favourite: an 'xtreme LED light' (which no other company offers) meaning you'll get results fast
- Made in Australia
- Free express shipping
#2 - CleverWhite Dissolving Whitening Strips 21 Pack ($26.95)
- The CleverWhite Dissolving Whitening Strips ticks many of our boxes. With easy to follow instructions and an attractive price, these are a good option for those who want to keep their costs down
- The box contains 21 applications (42 strips, 21 for your top and bottom jaw)
- Unlike the other items on our list, these strips dissolve in your mouth. This makes these incredibly simple to use as you will not have to worry about how long you’ve had them in place
- 100% money back guarantee
- As a bonus, they also promise to freshen your breath!
#3 - Oral-B 3D White Whitestrips 28 Pack ($44.99)
- More expensive, but with an extra seven days worth of treatments than the CleverWhite dissolving strips (56 strips in total), Oral-B’s 3D White Whitestrips promise remarkable results
- These Oral-B whitening strips regularly receive great reviews. For good reason too - most people report great results after using them for the full 28-day treatment
- Unlike the CleverWhite strips, the Oral-B strips do not dissolve in your mouth
3. Crest 3D Whitestrips Vivid Special 12 Pack + Toothpaste -($75.50)
- The most expensive item on our list, but also the fastest
- Crest promise to have your teeth looking brighter in only 12 days, so long as you use the included toothpaste
- While you only get a 12 days’ supply of whitening strips, the toothpaste should last for up to 2 months and help maintain your bright smile
- At this price, you may want to start looking at some of the other at home whitening kits available. However, none promises such fast results as the Crest 3D Whitestrips Vivid Special
- With no return policy (that we could find) these may be a risky investment. However, Crest is a trusted brand, and there are many positive reviews out there. If you can afford a little extra, we’d recommend giving them a go!
Remember, always follow the manufacturer's instructions. These products are perfectly safe to use when used correctly. However, you are putting a bleaching agent on your teeth - in moderation this poses no risk, but excessive use will lead to damaged gums and sensitive teeth.
As we mentioned earlier in this article, most people can expect to see a small improvement when using whitening strips. However, if you’re teeth are even moderately stained, or you want a truly brilliant smile, we’d strongly recommend that you check out the other teeth whitening options before committing to a treatment plan.
The above teeth whitening strip reviews are somewhat favourable, yes, and Whitening strips offer convenience and value – yes, but they compromise on quality. That’s the bottom line.
Dental Guide Australia may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.